Friday, January 13, 2012

Grey & Yellow Vignette

  I refashioned a little nook in our front entry way today. Grey & yellow have been calling my name lately, so I decided to see what I could come up with in those colours. 

  After "shopping" around our house, this is what I came up with. 

I love the name of that middle book! I got it for Christmas, but haven't had a chance to read it yet.

  I had some old embroidery hoops in my craft bin as well as some fabric squares in grey & yellow. The two combined = cuteness! (Is that a word? Well, it is now.) :) 
  I propped them up in the back (one leaning on a little stand & the other in front of it), stacked some grey & yellow books to the side, added a few other silver items & it all came together rather quickly. 




Some grey rocks added in the bowl bring a bit of nature to the vignette.



Vignettes can be a challenge. But when you remember a few guidelines, they can make it easier. 

  • Different heights. If everything is the same or similar in height, it won't work. Bring in stacks of books or boxes & top them with another item of interest. Think of a city skyline - all the buildings are different heights & it draws the eye to different focal points. Your vignette is like a mini skyline.

  • Repetition. In the vignette I've showed you here, I have repetition in the colours - grey & yellow - as well as the circles in the embroidery hoops & the silver bowl. An added bonus - my circular mirror echos the circle theme!

  • Odd numbers. It's visually pleasing to have odd numbers in design elements. If you'll notice that I paired 3 yellow items & 5 grey/silver items. I didn't do that on purpose, but it works.


Click here to see the post on this table's makeover

  The silver "R" in this grouping is a project that I just finished. I'll be featuring a tutorial on how I made it next week. Be sure to come back for that! 

  I'm also on the hunt for something to put in my empty lantern for these winter months. For Christmas, I had it filled with vintage Christmas ornaments that I scored on my last thrifting trip.

  Well, I'm off to clean up my craft table so I can start my next project! Thanks for reading!

Enjoy your day!

11 comments:

  1. I love it, the whole thing!  This is my color scheme for my master bedroom redo!  :-)  I am a new follower from The Girl Creative party, stop by and visit sometime...

    http://blissimagesandbeyond.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very pretty! I love the grey and yelloe color together (I am a sucker for those colors) You did a great job with the display, and thank you for the grouping instructions! Loved everything about this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful!  Grey and yellow is such a smashing color combo, I love it!  I'd be thrilled if you'd stop by and share this at the Head to Head Showdown, going on right now at www.icantstopcrafting.blogspot.com  ~Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steph, that looks SO great!!  Wanna come set one up in my house?  I love it.  Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great info, great colors, great scale. Great vignette!! Makes me so happy to see such a well-styled table :). This is very similar to mantel decorating and you know I love that!! 

    Please link this up next week at my Thursday party?? I know others will be inspired by this post! 

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome!!! I love everything about it!!! :) Thanks for linking it up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the tips! Can't wait to see how you made the "R". Visiting from wytbw on Literally Inspired.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness! I am so in love with this! kinda a west elm style to it! Gorgeous! I love the color combo as well!

    http://fitcraftystylishandhappy.blogspot.com/ 

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks SO much for linking this up!! Seeing it on my front page made me smile. I still love it so :)

    Emily @ 52mantels.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Cuteness" is totally a word.  And you are rocking it!  Love the fabric in the hoops.  Very striking!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steph...THANKS for visiting my CHAOS!!!   I LOOOOOOVE the mantel!!   I am hosting a "RANT and RAVE About My BLog" party that allows fellow bloggers to critique each others blogs anonymously!!   It is a lot of fun!!  Stop by if you get a chance!!!  ;)
    http://randeesorganizedchaos.blogspot.com/2012/01/rant-and-rave-about-my-blog_16.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips