Monday, April 08, 2013

Never-Fail Chocolate Cake


When I was a beginner in the homemaking profession, a big goal of mine was to build up a repertoire of great recipes that I would go back to & use time & time again.

One such recipe I wanted to find was a great basic chocolate cake that I could use for birthday cakes & such. Ever since I first made this chocolate cake years ago, it's been my go-to recipe for chocolate cake. You can use it for a sheet cake, a layer cake, & it also makes great cupcakes! Just adjust your baking time accordingly.

Another great thing about this recipe is that you can reduce the fat & it tastes just as good if not better! (See my notes in the recipe.)





Never-Fail Chocolate Cake

1 cup butter or margarine, softened (or to reduce the fat, use 1/2 softened butter or margarine + 1/2 cup  unsweetened apple sauce)
2 cups sugar
2 eggs

2 3/4 cup flour
5 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt

2 cups boiling water
1 tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350ยบ.

In a large bowl, cream butter or margarine, applesauce (if using), sugar, & eggs. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, & salt. Add wet ingredients (water & vanilla) & dry ingredients alternately to creamed mixture. Mix well.

Pour into 9x13 pan (2 round pans or cupcakes work as well) that has been sprayed with no-stick spray. Bake for 40 minutes or until middle tests done with a toothpick. *Note* If using 2 round pans, adjust baking time to 25-30 minutes. Cupcakes - 15-20 minutes, or until they test done.

Cool & frost, if desired.




Enjoy!

If you love chocolate, check out a couple of other goodies from my recipe box:





~~~~~

How was everyone's Easter/spring break?

Ours was pretty quiet & restful. I wasn't feeling really great for some of it, but now I'm feeling refreshed & I'm ready to get back into our routine.



Thanks for reading. If you like what you see here on Silver Boxes, I'd love it if you would become a follower on Google Friend Connect, subscribe by email (sign up on the right sidebar), 
or follow along on FacebookPinterestInstagram, or Twitter
And please leave a comment when you do so I know who my new friends are! :)


Enjoy your day!



This recipe was featured on:

Daisy Cottage Designs

5 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm....I want a piece right now!!! This sounds amazing! Pinning to try soon! Thanks for sharing!!!


    Best,
    Jen @ Yummy. Healthy. Easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake sounds delicious. I might have to give it a try but swap out almond extract for vanilla. Almond is my favorite extract and I may be slightly addicted to it actually. Yum!



    http://farmerswiferambles.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! This looks and sounds amazing! (thanks for sharing on Project Inspire{d} this week!)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment. Your comments make my day!!

Blogging tips